Vocatus Atque non Vocatus Deus Aderit | Deo Duce, Ferro Comitante | Vox Populi, Vox Dei

The World Needs Less Junior Therapists and More Spiritual Mentors
Life is not Relative – There Are Absolute Rights, and Absolute Wrongs

Friday, October 30, 2009

The Rain Falls Evenly On the Just and the Unjust Alike | 黄金律 | Rutilus Sceptrum

'PRINCIPLES BEFORE PERSONALITIES...




The Angel of Mercy - Guardian of the AA Traditions


...IN ALL OUR AFFAIRS'.


|...you cannot discuss AA Traditions with a man or who hasn't done the steps.  By definition, the untreated alcoholic is selfish and self centered in the extreme, thereby currently incapable of grasping and developing a manner of living which includes rigorous honesty and respect for his fellow man. 

Why is this?  Well, if he has yet to learn how to respect himself, how, then, can he be expected to respect others?  Every slim once in a while somebody in that clubhouse with a loose understanding of the AA Tradition will reference our Fourth tradition, which gives each group the right to be different;  the proviso, however, is that the group does not harm to AA as a whole, which this clubhouse does on a daily basis.

Twice this week I have been accosted on the street in front of the clubhouse after the meeting. These cowardly and dastardly attacks on my person and character were by men who have no character. I love them, for they are in AA - but I don't respect them, for they harm others, intentionally, seemingly for fun. Much like the miscreants of youth who torture small defenseless animals for fun.  Twenty years in AA and I have never witnessed such disgraceful and dishonorable behavior.  We are not a gang - we are a fellowship of men and women seeking recovery.  Again I'll say it - this is what happens when drug addicts are allowed to hide out in AA and the Traditions are violated - carnage is the natural result.

Facts are stubborn things; there are some in that clubhouse that refuse to be happy, and I have a sponsor I must listen to. My job is to carry the AA message with grace and dignity, then move on.  They have a right to wallow in their own self centered despair; I have right to be happy, joyous and free.  Part of being happy is doing what's right, despite the fact that going to that place makes me unhappy.  That builds character, which leads to integrity - a quality I've yet to see displayed in that room.

Tonight was a good meeting - I sat far enough in the back I that I couldn't hear.  Four more left.


God bless all, every one.

COG, 1st Cl.|

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome as a witness to a fools journey out of the darkness. I welcome all tidings - you are all my teachers on this path toward a meaningful and purposeful sobriety.

COG, 1st Cl.