Vocatus Atque non Vocatus Deus Aderit | Deo Duce, Ferro Comitante | Vox Populi, Vox Dei

The World Needs Less Junior Therapists and More Spiritual Mentors
Life is not Relative – There Are Absolute Rights, and Absolute Wrongs

Thursday, August 13, 2015

Spiritus contra Spiritum

     The man I most identified with 21 years ago when I was still dripping wet was a guy who I heard say:  'I didn't come into AA to stop drinking, I came into AA to stop blacking out three days at a time'.  The spiritual realm wasn't even a blip on my lowly horizon, no!  One day without a drink, maybe a decent bartending job and clean underwear and socks were all I hoped for in the beginning.

  My spiritual journey thus began with a proverbial gun to my head...forcing me to take great, sometimes minute, actions against my nature. My sponsor David Joyce used to say:  'AA is 95% surrender, then 5% surrender'. Couldn't agree more...It's easy to surrender to the booze...the real prize here goes to the man who surrenders the rest of his life, one blood piece at a time, for it is the little acts of surrender that we used to build our stairway to that great glorious spiritual experience at the end of the rainbow which arrests our alcoholism and introduces us to a joyful lifetime of service and self-sacrifice for others.

  I came to this place because I couldn't stop wetting the bed.  What I got is 'a life the happiest kind of usefulness through that Divine Alchemy - the Living Grace of God.   What a glorious life we have here in AA!  I am so overpaid.  I love you all.

Yours in love and service,

-COG, 1st Class
*********************************************************************************





No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome as a witness to a fools journey out of the darkness. I welcome all tidings - you are all my teachers on this path toward a meaningful and purposeful sobriety.

COG, 1st Cl.