Vocatus Atque non Vocatus Deus Aderit | Deo Duce, Ferro Comitante | Vox Populi, Vox Dei

The World Needs Less Junior Therapists and More Spiritual Mentors
Life is not Relative – There Are Absolute Rights, and Absolute Wrongs

Thursday, May 6, 2010

This Too, Shall Pass | これは非常に合格しなければならない | Is Quoque Vadum Obduco


"SERVICE GLADLY RENDERED, OBLIGATIONS SQUARELY MET; TROUBLES WELL ACCEPTED OR SOLVED WITH GOD'S HELP...



"...AT HOME OR IN THE WORLD OUTSIDE WE ARE PARTNERS IN A COMMON EFFORT..."

"...the well-understood fact that in God’s sight all human beings are important, the proof that love freely given surely brings a full return, the certainty that we are no longer isolated and alone in self-constructed prisons, the surety that we need no longer be square pegs in round holes but can fit and belong in God’s scheme of things--these are the permanent and legitimate satisfactions of right living for which no amount of pomp and circumstance, no heap of material possessions, could possibly be substitutes.

-Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions, p124

|... early in my own personal recovery it became glaringly apparent to me that the proper place to discuss my personal problems, trials and tribulations was privately with my sponsor or my close friends; certainly not at the podium.  Our Book even suggests that ‘our stores describe in a general way what it was like, what happened…etc.  Sounds odd, doesn't it?  Especially in light of the fact that AA is parodied in the media as a place where people openly complain about their job, loved ones, spouses, etc.  Lucky for me I shown by some very serene old timers that the podium was the place to talk about solutions – for every problem passes, but the solution remains the same.

    
My loving sponsor explained it to my pea-sized brain like this: 'Knucklehead:  in AA one could either become a better driver or a better auto body mechanic. Sure, one could talk about their daily spills on the freeways or their crackups at work and complain about the bad drivers all about them -or- one could simply put the solution in their lives and become a better driver.'
Amazingly enough - he has proved right.  Today, for hte most part, I have very few accidents, little drama in my life and certainly no complaining - ever.  For, today I know that if I am in a jackpot, IT IS ALWAYS MY OWN DAMN FAULT.

    
Am I suggesting we suffer in silence?  Certainly not – stuff happens and occasionally we all have Black Swan events in our lives, and sometimes do need to ‘share the ouches till the ouches go away’ as my sponsor says – but NOT at the podium.  For this alcoholic, it’s ok to mention my daily scrapes and bruises, so long as I back it up with the solution I’m utilizing not only to clean up my daily messes, but what actions I need to engage in to keep those same messes from recurring in my life.

    
“This Too, Shall Pass”, reach each ring the Oracle at Delphi gave to all those seeking knowledge.  Her recipe for happiness and serenity was simple:  whatever happens in life, good, bad or indifferent, remember to touch the ring and say to yourself:  “This too, shall pass”.  There is nothing going on in my life today or any day in the last twenty years that has not passed that is to say ‘…solved or well accepted with God’s help’.     How?  Simply by utilizing the program of Alcoholics Anonymous.  Our preamble tells me that my personal and primary purpose as a member of Alcoholics Anonymous, beyond staying sober today, is to help another alcoholic to stay sober.  What better way to accomplish the mission directive than to keep my sharing on the solution to alcoholism, as opposed to my so-called problems, which is usually just me and my own damn big mouth.

    
This is a very tryiing month for me, for I shall have to endure the most difficult event of my life thus far come the end of May – I could even lose that which I hold  most dear.  But this too, shall pass, so long as I keep the program of Alcoholics Anonymous first and foremost in my life.

    
As they used to say in New York City where I got sober: “…pain is inevitable, suffering is optional, for this, too, shall pass".  In other words - drop the rock, for the rock is heavy.

COG, 1st Cl.|

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome as a witness to a fools journey out of the darkness. I welcome all tidings - you are all my teachers on this path toward a meaningful and purposeful sobriety.

COG, 1st Cl.