Vocatus Atque non Vocatus Deus Aderit | Deo Duce, Ferro Comitante | Vox Populi, Vox Dei

The World Needs Less Junior Therapists and More Spiritual Mentors
Life is not Relative – There Are Absolute Rights, and Absolute Wrongs

Thursday, October 15, 2009

Who Say's Girls Can't Fight | 天使の女戦士 | Deo Valde Vemale Proeliator

When God Show's Up, She Show's Up





St. Joan of Arc's incredible, true story stands alone in history. Born a simple peasant girl of no importance, before turning eighteen she changed the course of European history; led the French to victory and nationhood, and caused mighty England to lose all hope of ever becoming a continental power. All because she heard and obeyed the voice of God.

When she was about thirteen she first heard the Voice which summoned her to the rescue of France. She heard the Voice three times, understood it came from God and knew it was St. Michael the Archangel, who came to her and with him the hosts of heaven. The Voice admonished her "to govern herself well and to go to church often", and from the beginning she was told that she must "go to France".

One year, and yet another, passed, the visions went on: the commands became more pressing. St. Margaret and St. Catherine now appeared to her frequently, their heads richly crowned, their voices gentle, soft and low. Once or twice a week they urged her to leave her home to go and seek the king, and tell him of her mission: that God Himself was sending her to give help to the kingdom and lead the Dauphin to Rheims for his coronation. Joan, afraid, trembling, dared tell no one for a time. It was all so strange; it sounded so impossible! How could this be, she thought, seeing that "she was a poor maid, knowing nothing of riding or fighting"? (Does this remind anyone of the third step prayer)?

Possessing absolutely no military training, Joan left home for battle just after turning 16. She was dressed as a man, for safety and to attract less attention on the road. This long ride of eleven days through hostile country was a test of endurance in and of itself.

Quite simply, she kicked hell out of the British and ended one of the largest sieges in military history, and led the French to national sovereignty. In an act of betrayal by French vassals (kind of like the traitorous detritus one finds in the last row of any clubhouse), largely because she talked often of hearing God's voice and the thirst to do his will, she was kidnapped, sent to England and burned at the stake just after her 19th birthday.

|...this is quite simply the most breathtaking story I've ever heard, because it's happened to me on a much smaller scale. I too was born into the peasantry, and remained there for nearly forty years, uneducated and untrained. Both my education and my prosperity have been forced upon me, and this I believe happened because it's better enabled me to do God's will.

I've had two white light experiences, both of which asked me if I were truly ready to do God's will - but that I was welcome to 'come home' if I wished to refuse and 'rest with my Father'. I chose to stay and fight, and I identify with St. Joan's desperate emptiness when the Angels would leave; I felt the same crushing emptiness both times Mother Mary bade me farewell.

The night I met Mother Mary was the loneliest night of my life. I still miss her. What I am taking about is way past steps three and eleven - this is the stuff Bill was referring to when he discussed 'being rocketed into the fourth dimension of existence'.

I too have heard and seen the Archangel Michael, but only in my dreams - but they scared the living daylights out of me. Many of the battles I were forewarned of have occurred in my life, and I like to think I have made a good account of myself. Japan was one, I'm finishing up two protracted battles for righteousness now, and there was a couple of other minor skirmishes - all victorious.

However, what terrifies me is that I really feel that all I've been through this past year is simply a pruning from the Great Gardner, a paring back, and almighty preparation, if you will, to get me ready for the most important battle of my life. What that is I don't know, but I will continue to do what my sponsor says, which is to treat everyone and everything that's put in front of me as a the most important thing God has for me to do. Take every person one person at a time, every event one event at a time, and each day one day at a time.

Each time I am asked to tell my story in AA I strive to maintain the courage of my convictions, to tell my truth, which is simply that I was a wretch that has been found, and for whatever reason, God has selected me for something surpassing my understanding. I am going to keep saying this because it has to be said: I DIDN'T ASK FOR THIS. God has turned me into something far greater than my gene pool or my education has prepared me for, and I don't know why I got the tap on the shoulder, but mine is not to question why - mine is just to do AND die. The word 'God' seems to anger more people than any four letter word does, and I am grateful that I don't understand that. God has made everything good in my life possible. It is because I rest IN God that I am made great.

Today, my relationship with God is the most important thing in my life. St. Joan of Arc, you inspire me. Though I have no desire to be burned at the stake, given a choice between watering down the AA message and talking about the Glory of God found through the Book and the Steps contained therein, I'll burn at the stake for AA every time. It's worth it, and more importantly, the lives of those to follow me are worth it.

God is great, and I love Alcoholics Anonymous, where it all started, and where my journey centers and continues. How can you ever say thank you for giving you a life beyond your wildest dreams, and who am I to say NO to my Father for saving my life?

I yearn to follow a warrior as great as St. Joan of Arc - truly I do. Where have all the warrior's gone? Who among us is fighting for right? I try, buy my arrows falter, often and obstinately. Who will take up their spears and walk through the 'valley of death' with me for His names sake? What more noble, worthy and virtuous path could there be in life? It is the only path that has rectitude.

My sponsor chides me thusly every day: '...God needs warriors! He has enough ribbon clerks'! For my first 15 years I thought he was crazy. Now, all I see around me is a vacuum of righteous leadership and a call for the greater glory of God and AA.


And so it goes. God love us all, every one.


COG, 1st Cl.|

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome as a witness to a fools journey out of the darkness. I welcome all tidings - you are all my teachers on this path toward a meaningful and purposeful sobriety.

COG, 1st Cl.