Vocatus Atque non Vocatus Deus Aderit | Deo Duce, Ferro Comitante | Vox Populi, Vox Dei

The World Needs Less Junior Therapists and More Spiritual Mentors
Life is not Relative – There Are Absolute Rights, and Absolute Wrongs

Thursday, October 1, 2009

Bushidō - The Twelve Steps of Alcoholics Anonymous - 智|(忠|誉|誠|礼|仁|勇|義

Bushidō is AA

How it Works
  1. Rectitude - (Steps 4,5,6,7,8,9)
  2. Courage - (Steps 1,2,3,4,5,6,9,10,12)
  3. Benevolence - (Steps 8,9,10,12)
  4. Respect -  (2,3,5,7,8,9,10,11,12) 
  5. Honesty - (1,2,4,5,8,9,10,12)
  6. Honor - (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12)
  7. Loyalty - (1,2,3,7,10,11,12)
  8. Wisdom  - (10,11,12)
|...at the end of the day when the drama is done and it's all over except for the tears, it's the guys sitting in the first row of any AA meeting doing inventory that are the tough guys - believe me.

The hardest fight I've ever had - and I've had them all over the world, was the one I had to fight to get to the core of MY PROBLEM - ME.  The steps aren't hard - any idiot with a 3rd grade reading level can do them.  Getting honest,  taking stock, following directions from a guy you don't like, and trust a God you don't think trusts you - that takes guts.

In my limited experience*, the code of Bushidō is the living embodiment of all our spiritual principles in Alcoholics Anonymous.  It takes great discipline to become Samurai. It's even harder to rush headlong toward the truth that's in ourselves, because at the end of the day, you don't get a shiny samurai sword to wear proudly around your waist - you get to allow another drunk to puke on  your shoes - and accept that puke gratefully.  Think about this while you look around you at your next AA meeting – how may Samurai do you see?

Day 67/90 in my beloved clubhouse and I can't believe it's almost over.  I love them all - especially the ones whose ways I find disagreeable – for I learn the most from them.

Love is in the middle.

COG. 1st Cl.|

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome as a witness to a fools journey out of the darkness. I welcome all tidings - you are all my teachers on this path toward a meaningful and purposeful sobriety.

COG, 1st Cl.