Vocatus Atque non Vocatus Deus Aderit | Deo Duce, Ferro Comitante | Vox Populi, Vox Dei

The World Needs Less Junior Therapists and More Spiritual Mentors
Life is not Relative – There Are Absolute Rights, and Absolute Wrongs

Saturday, September 26, 2009

Stay on the Firing Line - 跋涉

Keep Trudging 





AA Needs Heroes

Encouragement is Vital

Every morning when I think of my sponsor and I say a small prayer of gratitude; because, sometimes I need a God with skin.  He is a master at the
art of encouragement, for it is the most powerful of all tonics.

Encouragement is a far more powerful restorative than my pathetic story could ever be.  There is nothing quite so rewarding as looking a newcomer in the eyes and telling him straight out how proud you are of how hard he's trying, or, better yet, lifting a guy who's maybe been around a while and is suffering because he's neglected inventory that you're proud of the effort he's making, ‘cause you just know he's doing his level best, and that inspires me.

Live Can be Heroic

We need heroes in AA - we need heroes in AA - we needs heroes in AA who are willing to do the right thing - not because it is easy, but because it is hard.  It's supposed to be hard - it's the hard that makes it wonderful.  From a distance I admire a wonderful woman whose has suffered gross physical tragedy - yet she give of herself tirelessly to AA, to her child, and to her studies.  She wants to improve herself - she is my hero.  She cannot walk nor use her arms, yet she tirelessly extends the loving hand of AA - she is my hero.  Not once have I every heard her wince nor cry aloud about her lot in life - absolute, pure heroism.

Another power of example to me is a wonderful young lady who also supports her family in food service - I recently had the honor of watching her from a distance loving serve her clientèle.  I spent 17 miserable years in that business and she gave more true love in 20 minutes that I did in my entire career - that is the AA program of action lifted to it's highest possible elevation...she is my hero. How does one exhibit heroic behavior?  By doing ones best under any condition.

Always Do Your Best

What is the right thing?  Stick you hand out to an angry old timer whose only problem is untreated alcoholism, knowing full well he’s going to bite it.  What is the right thing?
Say the proper thing, fill the room with rectitude, knowing full well they will jeer you for it.  What is the right thing?  Always do your best, knowing full well some of them will hate you for it.  What is the right thing?  Hand your number to somebody you even SUSPECT is new, because their life is infinitely more important than your pride.  Try it sometime - the life you save may just be your own.

Yours in love and service,

COG, 1st Cl.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome as a witness to a fools journey out of the darkness. I welcome all tidings - you are all my teachers on this path toward a meaningful and purposeful sobriety.

COG, 1st Cl.