Vocatus Atque non Vocatus Deus Aderit | Deo Duce, Ferro Comitante | Vox Populi, Vox Dei

The World Needs Less Junior Therapists and More Spiritual Mentors
Life is not Relative – There Are Absolute Rights, and Absolute Wrongs

Sunday, August 30, 2015

Non Animus est, non Gloria | 勇気ませグローリーありません | Sin coraje, Ninguna Gloria | No Guts, no Glory


     “Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall.”

--Confucius

     ...And so hold on when there is nothing in you
Except the Will which says to them: ‘Hold on!’

--Rudyard Kipling

     What seemed at first a flimsy reed, has proved to be the loving and powerful hand of God.

--"Alcoholics Anonymous", 28:2

     30-Aug-15

     Happy Sunday everyone!

     'It is always darkest before the dawn'.  We all know that, we all identify with that, yet from time to time we all need to hear it.  In  'The Shawshank Redemption' Andy Dufresne tells his friend that 'hope is a good thing, maybe the greatest of things, and no good thing ever dies.'.  As Red would go on to say much later when his hope returned:  'that's damn right'.

     There are highs and lows in life as in sobriety, to be sure. But being an alcoholic of the perpetually self-piteous type, whenever I am 'in my cups' I am certain that this program - all of it - will work for all or you, and you will - all of you - get the full benefit of all the happiness, joy & bounty in God's universe, yet somehow I am beneath God's grace.  Sure, the sad little tale typically goes in my head, She may keep me sober, but She and I both know I'll never be as good as the other little boys and girls.

     Then one day the miracle happens.  Inventory turns to steps six and seven, followed closely by steps eight and nine where prescribed, and then one day - seemingly out of nowhere - voila!  The sky seems a little brighter, my food has more savor, my music has more, well, music.  All becomes right with the world once again.

     'Don't give up five minutes before the miracle' they say, and yes I agree, and yes that is my experience, for the miracles we long give up on, yet still patiently serve God nonetheless, always come, and always wrapped in God's infinite will and grace, and these miracles are the sweetest of all miracles, I assure you.  

     For one blissful moment in time, the 'four hideous horsemen' are unseated by 'patience, tolerance, kindliness and love', and 'the peace that passes all understanding' has it's glorious way with us.

     Until those 'worldly clamors' come rushing in again, of course, but therein hangs the tale of the utility and vitality of steps ten, eleven and twelve.  What a glorious life we have all of us been granted in this reprieve we call alcoholics anonymous.

     I love each and every one of you.  Thank you for my life.

Yours in love and service,

--COG, 1st. Class.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome as a witness to a fools journey out of the darkness. I welcome all tidings - you are all my teachers on this path toward a meaningful and purposeful sobriety.

COG, 1st Cl.