Vocatus Atque non Vocatus Deus Aderit | Deo Duce, Ferro Comitante | Vox Populi, Vox Dei

The World Needs Less Junior Therapists and More Spiritual Mentors
Life is not Relative – There Are Absolute Rights, and Absolute Wrongs

Sunday, August 30, 2015

Inde Perditio, Expecto | 破壊、トレジャーから | Fuera de Ruina , Esperanza | Out of Ruin, Hope


      Where there is ruin,
there is hope for treasure!

--Rumi

     It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to heaven, we were all going direct the other way...

--Charles Dickens, "A Tale of Two Cities"

     Like myself, he had admitted complete defeat. Then he had, in effect, been raised from the dead, suddenly taken from the scrap heap to a level of life better than the best he had ever known! 

--“Alcoholics Anonymous”, 11:4


     31-Aug-15

     Happy Monday everyone!  Thinking today about my first few weeks in AA...thirty years old, no education, friends, family who have anything to do with me, money or self-respect, I honestly thought I'd spend the rest of my life washing dishes, perhaps in a furnished room, with little or no prospects.

     And I was ok with that, provided I never had to drink again.

     My forward view of what has actually come to pass for me illustrates in its most specific relief why lying or bragging is an absolutely ridiculous activity for me on those (hopefully) rare occasion I backslide on these uglier chunks of myself;  the reality is that I could never make up or imagine how great a future God has for me.

     To illustrate I could point toward my education, professional achievements and awards, social empowerment, etc., but I am (I hope) moved far past obsessing on the material.  No!  The touchstone of all that I have found is a deep and effective relationship with God as I understand Her;  from that simple relationship flows all power in my life;  power to help others, power to run my life and I believe She would have me, etc etc etc..

     No sadder words are ever spoken in our meetings than 'we are powerless over people, places and things'.  We hear it so often many of us are led to assume it's part of our program;  I assure you it is not.  What the Book does effectively make the case for is that 'lack of power is our dilemma'.  In fact, in 'We Agnostics', the word "Power' appears four times in one paragraph alone (45:1).  However, the book goes right on to say in the very next paragraph how to get this Power, and then again it says again and again and again.

     I'd go so far as to say that if lack is Power is my dilemma, then the only real problem I every have ever is where and how to find this power;  i.e.  'where am I with God and the steps'?

     As a direct result of the steps I found in a program I found through a God I found in a Book I've found called "Alcoholics Anonymous", I have found and unending, always available and sometimes over-abundance of power from which to help others, and therefore so much is left over it naturally spills over into every other area of my life.  

     My whole life until I first began to sponsor men I felt weak and insignificant.  This Power has lifted me to a level of life better than the best I have ever known with a true view of who I am, and what my role in this life is.  Most people search their whole lives for this simple truth and never find it.

     I have come to rely on this Power;  it is my great secret.  Because of it there is no arrogance or delusion in acknowledging that just for today I am one of the most powerful men I know, for I turn my heart and mind and energy every day into tapping into that Power - so I may have enough of it to reach and help Her kids.


     How did I discover God's great power?  By begging God for the power to help her kids.  Notice there is no 'Dear God Please Help Me Stop Drinking' prayer in AA;  no!  In every prayer we ask God to help us help others, and it is there that this miracle of power is infused into our hearts, thoughts and minds.

     What a wonderful life we have in AA!  And it all starts with us admitting we've had the snot kicked out of us.  I love each and every one of you.  Thank you for my life.

Yours in love and service,

-COG, 1st. Class | Megan D., Editor in Chief



No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome as a witness to a fools journey out of the darkness. I welcome all tidings - you are all my teachers on this path toward a meaningful and purposeful sobriety.

COG, 1st Cl.