Vocatus Atque non Vocatus Deus Aderit | Deo Duce, Ferro Comitante | Vox Populi, Vox Dei

The World Needs Less Junior Therapists and More Spiritual Mentors
Life is not Relative – There Are Absolute Rights, and Absolute Wrongs

Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Carry this Message | 动 扩词 虽然 反义词 | Rabidus Immunda

Your Drunken Uncle...



Is Quite Literally Insane.



Tradition Five:

'Each group has but one primary purpose-to carry its message to the alcoholic who still suffers'.


 1. Do I ever cop out by saying, "I'm not a group, so this or that Tradition doesn't apply to me? This has been a hard lesson for me to learn - all the Traditions apply to me as anindividual, if I am to live happy, joyous and free.

2. Have I today imposed on any AA member for a special favor or consideration simply because I am a fellow alcoholic? This too, has been a hard lesson for me to learn. Whenever I try to get something out of someone in AA other than sobriety, it always blows out sideways.

3. Am I willing to twelfth-step the next newcomer without regard to who or what is in it for me? Absolutely.

4. Do I help my group in every way I can to fulfill our primary purpose? I am currently between groups right now, but am trying to be the best example of the Book I can be. That means saying what's right, even if it's unpopular.

5. Do I remember that AA old-timers, too, can be alcoholics who still suffer? Do I try both to help them and to learn from them? Lately, I fear I am surrounded with old-timers that are sicker than newcomers. Never have I seen such an affinity for profanity. Sigh...all you can do is tell them what happened to you, then move on. I will say this:  I've learned more from them about what NOT to do than I ever did on what TO do in AA.  The memory of that clubhouse will keep my eyes tightly glued to the Traditions for the rest of my life.

|...day 76/90 and we're getting close to the end, in more ways than one.  Let's see, today I learned that a convict wants to hit me with a bat (he better get me when I'm not looking), and how to smuggle narcotics (thank you for that one - if I ever want to become a felon I'll ask you for advice), and just about everything BUT recovery from alcoholism. 

Tonight was no total loss, though - I got to give my number to a man who I think is very serious about saving his life, and that made the night worth it for me.  You see, I have no special 'advice' to give;  I am not a marriage counselor, or a psychiatrist, or even your friend.  I am simply a poor sot that God took pity on who has been through the steps.  All I know how to do is to recover from alcoholism;  in this subject I am an expert.  I have no other help to offer in AA.

COG, 1st Cl.|

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome as a witness to a fools journey out of the darkness. I welcome all tidings - you are all my teachers on this path toward a meaningful and purposeful sobriety.

COG, 1st Cl.