Vocatus Atque non Vocatus Deus Aderit | Deo Duce, Ferro Comitante | Vox Populi, Vox Dei

The World Needs Less Junior Therapists and More Spiritual Mentors
Life is not Relative – There Are Absolute Rights, and Absolute Wrongs

Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Humility - 谦逊

'Don't Forget Where You Came From'


Main Entry: hu·mil·i·ty
Pronunciation: \hyü-ˈmi-lə-tē, yü-\
Function: noun
Date: 14th century: the quality or state of being humble

|...my sponsor David J. back home on 72nd street in Brooklyn is quick to remind me of the sharpest and most cutting of insults we have for people from the old neighborhood in Brooklyn who both made it out and forgot their roots;  the people 'who forgot where they came from'.  This goes much farther than surviving the Brooklyn waterfront;  today it reminds me that there was a day when I had just one day sober, and I didn't know page 164 from a bottle of Dewar’s.

When I first came to AA, I wasn't looking for a relationship with God, a spiritual awakening, or even a first class education, let alone a decent job.  All I had when I first came to AA was a desire to stop blacking out and maybe a clean pair of pants. Thank God I didn't get what I wanted - thank God the Almighty had bigger plans for me.

Today, I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of the earth - all because I admitted I was powerless over alcohol.  I am so grateful for all of you in AA - I need you all.  I need the First Step diehards, the Big Book thumpers, the slippers, the newcomers, all of you.

Thank you for aiding me in my recovery over alcoholism, and may I never forget where I came from.

God bless us all, every one.

COG, 1st Cl.|

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome as a witness to a fools journey out of the darkness. I welcome all tidings - you are all my teachers on this path toward a meaningful and purposeful sobriety.

COG, 1st Cl.